Tweets

Thursday, June 29, 2006

tough one on Tuesday

i did a lap early am (although not leaving the house til 6am felt kinda late) on the F50 course, and sure enough I was reminded how difficult it will be on the fourth. One lap, going about 80-85% was 2hr18min. How the hell did I ever pull a 4:17 two years ago? I think the splits were a 2:06 and a 2:11. The more I ride the course the more I realize that I must have had the perfect race on a perfect day. I'd be ecstatic with a sub 4:20 this year. And probably okay (not happy) with a sub 4:30. But I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, as a 4:17 is remarkably hard to achieve. I think riding up Boreas on the first lap will be much faster during the race, as I will be sucked into riding hard with the group of locals that will form early in the race. The key is to pull off a 2:10 or less on the 1st lap, and just hope I eat and drink well, and have no mechanicals on the 2nd lap. As much as I will suffer (prob the most suffering in one day all year for me), the beer afterwards in Carter Park will taste great!
Helen's got a 10K hill climb in Vail Sunday. Alina and I are excited to ride the gondola up to Eagle's Nest to check out the finish. I think Helen will do well, as she is a great uphill runner.

No comments: