Tweets

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Red Rocks velo cross

great course they put together down at Bear Creek Lake Park. Left Breck in clear blue skies, with only a trace of snow on the side of the road. As we passed through Idaho Springs, we punched down below the cloud level, and were stuck in a 39 degree mist the rest of the time down on the Front Range. Registered with plenty of time to check out a few laps on the course. A short paved climb to sort things out before we dove onto some fun twisty singletrack before dumping us at a barrier for a short tun-up back to the parking lot. Then we dove into the volleyball sand pit, through the start/finish, and back through for some more twisty track by the lake. Pretty good start saw me in the top 6 or so, then I drifted back to about 10th on the second lap as someone stumbled through one of the sand sections that you could ride through. On he third lap through, a rider came barreling around me on the right. Soon his bar locked with mine, my hands slipped off the top of the bars, and we were locked together going off the trail. This fool managed to keep it upright, but I wasn't so lucky. My stem hit my knee pretty good, but the toughest part was rolling my ankle some. It feels well enough to ride on, but getting in and out of the pedals now is definitely too ginger to mess with in a cross race. I think it'll be fine next wknd. I hope so. It would also be nice if I accidentally cut off the other guy somewhere on the course.

On a posiitve note, Alina was riding her bike without her training wheels today on our street. In both the up and downhill directions, she has it down. Very cool moment. Even better was seeing her turn around to make sure I saw her progress.

No comments: