Tweets

Monday, August 06, 2007

i ate the whole enchilada

yesterday worked out well. 36.5mi, 4hr30min, prob about 4,000' vert. MY FAVORITE RIDE ever. too bad I was a bit scared by some thunder as I was grunting to the top of Georgia Pass. Luckily I didn't see any lightning, and I didn't get soaked. left the house around 10a and returned just after 3. It was great to ride solo and listen to music and some podcasts all day. saw some other cyclists, but didn't stop much. hooked up with Troy on the way up Westridge, rode with him all the way down to Horseshoe Gulch.

some random thoughts from the ride - riding up Little French was cool as always, the flume is a perfect grade to be able to stay in the big ring and get your pedal on, the Great Flume is the most beautiful and remote trail anywhere I've been on in Summit, the 1mi climb to the top of Georgia Pass is miserably steep and loose, the Colorado Tr (CT) down from the pass was fantastic, though pretty wet, the CT between south and middle forks of the Swan was awesome, the climb up to the north fork and westridge was longer than I remember, staying in the middle ring for the whole 30min climb was good, the downhill from there to Horseshoe Gulch is probably the single best downhill stretch ANYWHERE I have ridden, the climb up and over Gold Run Rd back to the house was surprisingly easy.

I felt great, and I think it was mostly b/c I drank about 120oz water, 20oz GU, and a can of Coke. plenty of liquids, and it wasn't even hot, but I was working hard, esp. going up Little French, up South Fork rd to Georgia Pass, up the CT by north fork to Westridge, and up over Gold Run Rd. 4 big climbs, each almost a half hour.

woke up to Seattle-looking weather. thick low-hanging clouds, high humidity, wet streets and temps in the low 50s. it started raining on my way into the office, stopped now though. Hopefully I can find a somewhat dry window for today, all I want is an easy hour on the road bike on the path. at least the weather today should scare away many tourists.