Tweets

Monday, September 12, 2011

Lookout Cross, cross race #1 of the season

Went really well, due to some late race misfortune to some other guys, I finished up in 3rd place on the podium. I'll take it!

Course was the usual affair down there next to the Lookout Mtn Youth Services Center (prison). This year though I didn't get the pleasure of being heckled by inmates, as we didn't use the stretch of road that is right adjacent to the prison boundary fence! Race started out well, I got a call up from last year, ended up 4th guy to the line, front row starting spot, since many of last year's top 10 guys weren't here at this race. Whistle blew, I found my pedal quickly and got the hole shot. Score! Knowing that 100yd effort in the thick grass cost me a match or two, i eased up on the throttle and let Faia come by, since that is what would happen anyways. Wasn't riding well in the corners, grabbing tons of brake, Keller yells at me take the corners wider. I agree, I was not cornering well. So I let Keller come by me after a bit, and settle into my own group consisting of Jeff Wardell, Frank Overton and Pat Gallegos. We were riding fairly consistently. I was dangling off the back of the group but always seemed to claw back before getting dropped. Then on the second the last lap, Wardell loses his chain on the loose, steep ride-up on back side of the course. I go around him, and never see him again, apparently bc he had to stop in for a bike change. As we enter the last lap, Frank leads through, with Pat and I right on his heels. Frank took a fall about 2min from the line, and I fortuitously chose a quicker line around him and was riding in 3rd place thanks to that silver platter. Pat didn't get around Frank as quickly and had to settle for 4th, though he was right on my heels the last couple of minutes of the race. I arrived a bit late so didn't get a chance to get on course. Just got a few practice starts down and that was it. Happy with the hole shot, rode a bit hard, had my usual mid-race fade, but then recovered well to ride hard and stay with (and win) my group for the last 2 laps. Great way to start the season!

here I am, dangling dangerously off the back of my group of 3-


final podium, with Tim Faia in 1st and Greg Keller in 2nd.


this is our little group coming through the line for the bell lap. Again, you can see me at the back of this group. Luckily by now we had a decent gap on the guys in 4th and 5th.


here i am hunched over, just before (or after) a little barf action at the finish line!

No comments: