Tweets

Monday, October 05, 2009

Frisco Cross recap

This past wknd was the 2 days of cross racing known as Frisco Cross. Was a lot of fun. we had some crisp autumn weather, some overnight snow dusting on the high peaks, but the courses were dry both days. First day saw me with another strong start in 3rd or 4th wheel. Was riding smart and stayed in spots 6-10 most of the race as I saw Tim Faia ride away, not surprisingly. The one moment I should have put in a little dig (attack?) to move up a few spots, I hesitated, grabbed some brakes, and sat back in the slipstream of Robson as we rode up the pavement climb to the top of the course. I need to remember that I can recover quickly, and also ride strong even while anaerobic. That mid-race hesitation combined with a super techy pass by Ward Baker on the last loose corner combined to have me finish in 8th place. Before the beginning of the season, I'd be very happy with 8th place, as last cx season I was routinely in 10-15th positions. Well this year I am riding better, and now I know I belong in the top 10. And if the day is right (and maybe the field?!), I think a podium is not out of the question. Sunday's race seemed to have a more difficult course, though the absence of the long paved climb and the addition of more singletrack was certainly in my favor. Again I found myself with a nice start (call-ups certainly help!), this time though I did not want to light matches I couldn't sustain so early in the race. So I settled into 3rd wheel, right behind Robson and Faia. I wasn't going too hard, just happy to be riding where I was. Then as we exited the sweeping, downhill, wood-chip turn on the upper part of the course, I saw Keller standing next to his bike, off course. Not sure how he missed the turn that he pre-rode, but this quickly saw the front 8 or so guys with a nice gap on the rest of the field. Soon as we hit the big run-up, Tim turned it up a notch and was gone. I walked/stuttered up the hill like a fish out of water, re-mounted quickly only to see Phenicie get in front of me as he started his chase of Tim. I wasn't going there, so did some damage control and quickly re-established my own pace. Hartman and Farrell rode by me and I could not hold their wheels, but I did put in a nice effort on the last lap to pass Robson and hold on for 6th place. My best result ever in 35+ Open, at least in a stacked field. I will take it! More importantly, my confidence is building. Looking fwd to building on that for the next few weeks, and hopefully a good ride for the Boulder Cup weekend.

No comments: