Tweets

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Boulder CX#3, the dreaded Boulder Rez course

Well, the monkey's still on my back. Having some pretty good results, some new wheels and drivetrain, a new team kit, etc, etc...I had fairly high expectations for this year's race out at Boulder Rez. And as Greg Keller of Mudandcowbells fame puts it, the East and West coasts have mud, we have Colorado mud, which is snow! Our race started out with intermittent rain and snow flurries, but for the most part was dry. I was in 3rd place overall in the points (now I'm at 4th), so again I had a call-up and front row starting position, sweet! Whistle blows and I'm sitting pretty in about 4th place. After about 1/2mi of being cool and collected, not burning too many matches, my front tire washed out in a slick grassy corner as we headed into the woods by the beach and dock section. I went from about 4th place to 16th place in the blink of an eye. I managed to claw back a few spots, then finally bridge back up to the front group. But by then, I had burnt most of the matches in my book, so the damage was done...and I had little left in the tank when a few fast dudes up front hit the accelerator again to shed posers like myself. I was then in a classic Jeff Cospolich area, no man's land. Behind the first group, ahead of the second large group, kinda riding by myself. Felt okay in the dreaded sand areas, but little juice left to bridge back up. Bummer!! Better luck this weekend as the biggest race wknd for Coloradoans is on tap, with the Bluesky VeloCup on Satruday, and Grealish's Boulder Cup on Sunday at Harlow Platts Park. Might be interesting if the Front Range really gets the 6-12" they are forecasted to receive.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: