Tweets

Thursday, August 21, 2008

race #14 re-cap

last night wasn't to be, I suppose you can say, if you believe in that thinking. Breck Brawl is a pretty fun course, well-suited to a slightly-above-average all-arounder like myself. A few sustained climbs early, but none too steep, a lot of middle ring fireroad climbing, peppered with some rolling singletrack down to the finish. Off the start Thompson and Richard had an instant 50yd gap. They rode away from me initially, then I saw Richard broke his chain. That was some motivation, as my start wasn't super strong. I needed 40 points to overtake him for the overall series win. I thought he would win, and I wouldn't have the point differential. After seeing his mechanical, I thought it might work out. I was climbing well, riding with Zeke and staying just about 200m in front of the Marshall brothers. The descents were fine, though I did almost endo at 25mph after not seeing an abrupt water bar while flying down the service road below the Super Connect lift. I could definitely maintain my position, probably riding in for 4th, which would be enough if Richard DNFd. Then on the end of lap 2 while descending the Lehman Trail, I saw Zeke off the side of the trail with a broken chain. That was even more motivation. I rode strong through the finish, then really poured it on for the last 3 miles of fireroad climbing before hopping on the Southside Trail and descending the last half of the course. I was riding strong in 2nd place, though Steve and Joe Marshall were only about 20-30 seconds back. Then as I was really psyched on my riding and the upcoming downhill section...I flatted. Almost the same damn spot as 2 years back....another season that I lost the overall title and event win due to a flat tire. Uggh. The fact that I flatted in and of itself isn't the reason for my disappointment. Flats happen, they're part of racing. And I hadn't had a flat in over 2 seasons of competition. The REAL reason I lost was my VERY POOR DECISION to try and ride my flat to the finish, and maintain enough finishing point to still overtake Richard. Well, that might have worked, had Richard DNFd. But he toughed it out to get just enough points to beat me. Hats off, and perhaps the proper season finale, as he was indeed the stronger rider these last few weeks. But it really bums me out to lose the overall title due to a VERY POOR DECISION. I could have thrown a tube in there with a cartridge, and only lost 2min tops. As I rode on my rim (the Crossmax is still true now) to the finish, I passed Thompson on the side of the trail, he was cussing due to his misfortune as well, as he had the win in the bag. So without my flat, I would have been riding happily in 2nd, and would have passed Mark to take the lead and win. Ah well, next year. I do take away some positives, I have to. 2nd place in that category isn't terrible. My fitness is right where it needs to be for the upcoming cross season. I look forward to the early races, then racing every weekend in October, then hopefully a good showing at the Boulder Cup wknd races in early November.

No comments: