Tweets

Friday, June 27, 2008

race #9

#9 this past Wednesday was one of my better races so far this season. Gold Run Rush, so it is my stomping ground after all, so I should have an edge. The Golden Horseshoe trails are so great up there, what a gem we have. The start of the race is disgustingly hard, sending us right up the steep, rocky lower section of Gold Run Rd. My HR spike up to about 182 after the first 2min of the race. I think I was entirely anaerobic for the first 15-20min, basically until we summited Gold Run Rd, then spit us down Slalom singletrack to connect over to Preston and the Draw. I let a couple guys go off the front, but I was up with them by the bottom of Heinous. I felt very good on Heinous, keeping my ride in the middle ring the whole way. The 2nd lap up Heinous I was in the small ring, but 3rd cog down, so I could have been in the middle I suppose. Dumped the bike once on a loose sharp turn that I had forgotten about. But after straightening out my handlebars, I was soon back at it. The last section down Minnie Mine and X10U8, crossing over to the B&B Trail...is sweet. A great change to a classic backcountry mtb race. 3rd place in the expert 35-44 category. 162 avg HR for 1hr21min. Not as high as in past years, maybe age is showing its ugly face.

Sweet night ride last night with the crew. Blair Witch and the Soda Creek to CT loop. Awesome. Then a 1hr recon ride up Little French this am.

No comments: