Tweets

Monday, June 02, 2008

#5, and PERFECT weather

Saturday was race #5 for me. The Burn mtb TT down in Bailey in the Buffalo Creek mtb rec area. Great smooth trails made for a very fast course, even with over 3,000' of climbing. 22mi in 1hr38min. 7th place out of about 25 vet 35+ experts. Of course I had a secret weapon, the Scott Scale 10 from Mark Thompson. I was trying it out for a few days, and it is impressive. 21.5lbs and a freakin' rocket ship out on the trails. I rode it again this morning on the rockier trails of the Frisco peninsula, and it still felt fantastic. Stiff under pedal, but the carbon gives just enough dampening to not make it feel like there's a spear in your back. And the 6lb weight reduction from the 5.5, combined with the rigid frame makes for a great feeling race bike. It is going to be difficult to pass this opportunity.

Since late last week we've had really nice weather. Friday evening was great. Saturday and Sunday were both bluebird, warm days. Highs in the upper 60s/low 70s, a light breeze (that wasn't cold for the first time in like 7 months), and just incredibly warm feeling sunshine. Wow, it very quickly justified the brutally long winter. It was so nice I spent most of Sunday out in the yard digging up some dead sod and patching it up with some new rolls I bought at Wal-Mart. Besides my labor involved, it was pretty reasonable, $2.58 for a 7 sq ft roll. So I only spent about $35 for the new grass. Hopefully it takes soon and Montana doesn't have a field day tearing it all up.

SMC#1 in Frisco Wednesday. I am looking forward to is, as I finally have a decent base.