Tweets

Friday, January 18, 2008

farewell my good friend



sold my truck today. i bought it in '98 with 14K miles on it, and I put almost 120K miles on it in the last 10 years. it has treated me very well. I will miss it some, but not much. Fun for bike camping trips, but it is a gas-guzzling PIG and takes up about 90% of the depth of my garage. Not to mention the PITA it is to park, esp. the few times I drive down to the city.

some memories with my truck, in chronological order.
- road trip to Jackson Hole with Dave and jibber Dave. slid through an intersection and almost get in an accident (only 3 years out of Nawlins, prob had Cajun snow-driving skills then). drive off the road in a whiteout and am driving on what I think is the road....nope, I drove off-road (parallel to it) for about 1/4mi thinking I was on the road.
- Dave and I four-wheel up Indiana Creek to Penn Creek roads. not a high-clearance 4WD experience, but the road was narrow and the willows and bushes scratched my truck up pretty good
- Helen and I camp out in the back of my truck up on Sand Flats Rd. in Moab, by Slickrock Trail. At night some bats come out and crawl around the underside of my truck, scaring me and making Helen laugh
- after a desert biking trip to Fruita and Moab, I spend a couple nights by myself in the truck atop the Colorado National Monument. Wake up to some teenagers drinking and doing donuts around my parking spot.
- racing the Chalk Creek Stampede MSC in Nathrop in May. Montana and I camp out in the back of my truck. Rainy weather, I wake up to fogged up interior of my topper, wet clothes and wet dog smell everywhere. yuck.