Tweets

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

the lighting journey

am I really good enough shooting with an on-camera 580EX, and not too often using a 2nd flash, let alone both strobes off camera? not at all. now that cross is done and all things cycling take a back seat for at least the next 2 months, I have a small amount of free time to focus more on my photography. It will benefit my work, my free time, my enjoyment of nature and family, and will of course help rake in the extra dough that is out there now with the real estate photography world here in Breckenridge.

Below probably best sums up my less-than-adequate approach now. However, it is important to point out that I have over 65 properties on my list to currently re-shoot for our website. At about 90min on location, with at least an hour in post processing, that is at least 163 hours of work. And on average, I maybe can dedicate 8hrs per week doing this in a typical work week.

2. Competent On-Camera Flash

Here is where you'll find the TTL-flashers, the on-camera bouncers, the Gary Fong-ers, the Lumi-Questers, the flash bracket hounds and the vast majority of perfectly happy amateurs.

These are the wine lover's equivalent of folks who are perfectly happy with a bottle of Sutter Home White Zin because they have never really experienced the good stuff.

There are many who make a fine living shooting in this zone - weddings, events, candids, team shots, etc. It is comfy and predictable - which is not necessarily a terrible thing.

Warm milk is not a terrible thing, either.