Tweets

Monday, November 05, 2007

Boulder 'cross wknd

this was it, the weekend I was looking forward to all fall for cross. and unfortunately, my results weren't what i was looking for. Saturday was the Redline Cup out at Boulder Rez. Typical sandy sections, bumpy grass, some goatheads, pavement and some random flying course tape. They only called up top 10 in points to the line, so I was psyched to have a 2nd row starting position. After the whistle I was out comfortably in about 7th place. Wow I thought, amazing start. Soon Phenice and Yoder and some other fast dudes came by, but I didn't panic. For the rest of the race I was hovering around 12-15th, feeling okay, but not able to pick up any spots. With 2 to go my front tire flatted, right after the freakin' pit. So I had to ride about 3/4 lap on a soft front tire. Didn't exactly work so well on the turns! Afterwards with a new front wheel from the pit, it was just damage control, work on technique and get 'er done. That meant 39th out of 60 something. gross.
Next day was the Boulder Cup in S. Boulder at Harlow Flats park. A typical Euro course with tons of grass, plenty of hairpins, and some more damn sand. I thought it involved little to no technique, and required lots of power. Great, another one for the power riders. Although the legs didn't feel too great from the effort the day before, I've felt worse. I was 3rd row at the line, but nonetheless okay with it. The uphill slog on the pavement, which reminded me of the N. Boulder Park Crit, sorted us out quickly before the roundabout dumped us onto the grass. I was maybe 20-25th, stayed there for a bit, then flirted with 10-15th for a few laps, before finally settling in around 20th. A cracked WB (Ward Baker) passed me on the last lap, and I just maintained some to roll in 22nd. Not the top 15 I was looking for, but certainly in the top 1/3rd of a stacked field, so it didn't feel bad. The bike worked well, as did the 40psi I ran, that really made a difference and my tires hooked up well on the grassy hairpins. The fitness is struggling. No excuses outside, as we've been in about a 3week high pressure dome, so everything is bone dry out.

It was great to spend time at Mary & Bill's house again. We went to Zolo Friday night to celebrate Diana's 28th bday. Alina was a little fidgety, but otherwise we had a great time. Saturday night Bill bbq'd some delicious chicken. The pinot grigio was esp. good. As was the turkey sausage he cooked for me on Sunday morning.