Tweets

Sunday, September 16, 2007

the first tests are done

I did great flying solo with Alina most of the week. She didn't really ask for Helen except just after she woke up, and that was only for about 30secs. Getting her ready and up for breakfast on time was a bit hard, so I ended up about 5min late to work each day. But a lot of that was Alina's being in a new room with new teachers. So she was a bit clingy when I left her. It's good to know I am not a completely helpless parent without Helen. The only compromise was that I am terrible at getting Alina's hair up in pony tails, but the teachers at school take care of that.

Today was the Brecktobercross. I was a bit nervous as always for the first race of the season. But things were very familiar as I got the hole shot and took off on the singletrack. One other rider from Rocky Mounts was behind me close, then a couple others were maybe 100 yds back for the first couple of laps. My dismount skills were abominal, but it didn't matter as I was riding the bike well. Guy in 2nd was right with me as we circled the lodge, then I heard some noise and I think he almost went down somehow. He said after that he almost hit my bike. Not sure if he was trying to pass or not, but I made sure it didn't work. From there I put in a little surge and had a good gap to the last run-up and finish. First win of the 'cross season, and 4th win on the bike this year. Pretty satisfying for a washed-up-dad who loves to ride bikes. But the real work is in the 35+ and semi-pro fields. Looking forward to brushing up on the mount skills, and hopefully bunny-hopping a barrier or two. Prob race a few more in the 3s, then dabble with the big guns in 35+ sometime in October. Oh yeah, my front brake stutters as badly as ever. Need to get the new brake pads/wheels/tires dialed before next race at Boulder Rez on the 29th. New cable & housing too. I had a hell of a time trying to shift today on some of the bumpier parts of the course. I think some fresh clean cable would make it better.