Tweets

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Penn Gulch SMC

for the first time in about 2 weeks, I felt pretty good during the race and was pretty happy with my time. 5th out of 6 in the pro/elite field, pretty meaningless with a field that small. Brett Morgan, Todd Smith, Thane Wright and some kids I didn't know. Brett was toying with us on Boreas, putting in several small accelerations just to mess with us. He wasn't breathing too hard. Hung with Todd and Thane all the way to top of Boreas, so that alone gave me some confidence. I was on the rivet on the upper section of Boreas, before we dove down to Indiana Creek. But the work paid off, as I was in good position on the way up the grind. Unfortunately, I lost a bit at top of the climb, and I was pretty cautious (slow) on the descents tonight after a rough week or so of fitting in about 3 years of "missed" crashes. I lost time on Blue River Tr, which disappoints me. But I held off some good riders and felt okay when I finished, though I failed to outsprint this little Spanish kid, who naturally was riding a nice Orbea carbon hardtail (rocket ship).

Hopefully I can have a good ride for the Breck Brawl in a couple of weeks. And if work permits, maybe race the Keystone MSC over Labor Day weekend. Can't wait for cross though, esp. some of the good courses we had in Boulder.