Tweets

Sunday, June 10, 2007

racing at the dump

Wednesday Worlds had a different feel today as it was Sunday. stop #2 of the Summit Mountain Challenge was the Tour de Trash out at the scenic landfill. 3p start, pretty much the worst if you ask me...i'd prefer to race early and drink beer in the afternoon. my legs felt heavy all day, but I had a short but effective warm-up and after the first 1/2mi climb I felt really good. had to pass Steve Meyer before the rock garden. David came with me and I guess from there it opened up quickly. I had a good gap on David and soon enough it was just like Frisco, riding solo for the next hour. The wide open course allowed me to look back at the other riders to see the gaps. I was descending as well as ever on the new bike, and holding my own on the climbs. Ended up winning by about 90sec over 2nd. don't think I've ever won 2 mtb races in a row before. My 51 yr old fellow teammate Scott "the human lung" Yule came in 3rd. When I'm 51, if I'm even remotely as fast as he is, I'd be pretty happy. So Gold Run is next. My backyard course. Tons of climbing, thanks to Heinous Hill, but tons of rocky high-speed descending too, which is my kind of course. Hopefully it goes well again, and I can step it up and ride with the pro/elites and look fwd to cracking the top 5 (of a tiny pro/elite field). So far my 27lb bike is doing the job. Though I wonder how it'd feel to race on a 22lb full sus like Brett Morgan's Cannondale.

Back to work. I'm a true weekend warrior now with the M-F thing. Some trail work next weekend, coupled with a Father's Day BBQ at some friends, and hopefully a 5-6hr mtb ride Sunday. It will be my last big ride before the F50. Out in Tahoe I probably won't do more than 3hr rides.