Tweets

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

g-men cross

sunday was the gmen race at Easton Regional Park near Dakota Ridge high school, the venue in years past used for Kappius' Foothills Cross series. the drive down was a little slower due to the Thanksgiving mass exodus down to DIA that day.

tangent- Thanksgiving was busy. Great Western Lodging, offering Breckenridge lodging, was booked. The SDN reported that last Wednesday's big check in day was the 3rd largest # of cars in a 24hr period in the history of the tunnel. Over the 5-day Wed-Sun holiday travel week, 202,000 vehicles traveled through the tunnel. That is a lot of cars.

the race was fun, but I didn't have the response I needed a few laps into it when the major selection was made. I had the great start as usual, but I didn't feel so good in the uphill grass slogs by the pit and past the start. The dirt road climb was good, the short punchy dirt climb was good, though some Rocky Mounts dude slammed the door on me as he was dismounting to run up what I was riding. I liked the dirt road descent to the 90 deg left turn barrier and steep run-up. Dismounting off-camber at some speed going downhill was challenging. I am starting to feel faster on the hairpins and sharper turns now - consciously touching the brakes only at the last possible second, only using the rear brake if I do happen to brake mid-turn, being in the perfect gear to accelerate out of the turns, timing the pedal stroke perfectly on sharp corners. If I can maintain or improve these skills, and confidently be able to ride 35psi (instead of the 45-50 I use now, though I haven't flatted out of any races this seaosn)...things could be really good. My fitness is waning, but it is still adequate to keep me in the front group without any mistakes.

No comments: